Seattle sports, on tap daily

The Words FIFA COO Kevin Lamour Said That Tell You Everything About Infantino’s Plan

Soccer on gradient background

Written by

in

Soccer on gradient background
Soccer on gradient background — Created by the Sports On Tap desk | Source : Sports On Tap (team logos property of their respective owners)

Kevin Lamour, FIFA’s chief operating officer, is reportedly OUT, leaving his high-profile role in the wake of Gianni Infantino’s wild, controversial plan to open FIFA to private investment. This isn’t some quiet exit, folks. A FIFA spokesperson confirmed to The Athletic that the “working relationship” between FIFA and Lamour ended on Monday, but British outlets are reporting the two-year veteran was flat-out fired. Yeah, you read that right. Fired.

A Scathing Statement That Rocked FIFA’s Core

Lamour’s exit isn’t just a sudden thing, though. It comes just weeks after he dropped a scathing statement against Infantino’s big idea to sell World Cup stakes to private investors. He wasn’t holding back, sharing his thoughts with the Associated Press at the end of last month. Lamour said FIFA staff felt “deceived” by Infantino’s push, and that they “deserve better than contempt and intimidation.” Can you imagine? Calling out your boss like that? He went on to say, “It is the project of one person. Not only must this project not go ahead … but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.” He knew the risks too. Lamour wrote, “And if that means I lose my job then so be it. I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.” Talk about putting it all on the line.

The Fallout: Resignations, Boycotts, and Calls for Change

Lamour’s bold statement hit the wires hours after top FIFA advisor Carlos Cordeiro had already resigned in opposition to Infantino’s proposal. Cordeiro called the whole thing a “defining question for FIFA’s future,” and he threw down some serious questions: “Why this deal? Why now? What oversight exists? Who benefits? Was there a competitive process? What governance will be in place? What will investors ultimately gain, and at what cost to football?” These aren’t just questions, they’re straight-up accusations that paint a picture of real concern within the organization. The proposal, dubbed the FIFA Forward Enterprise, got scrapped entirely just days after it even became public, but the damage was done. Calls for Infantino to resign have only gotten louder. UEFA, which had pledged to boycott FIFA events like the World Cup over this mess, is reportedly still planning to do so, even with the plan withdrawn. U.S. Soccer has joined other federations in calling for “meaningful change” in the scandal’s wake.

Infantino, who took office in 2016, is up for re-election in 2027. Despite some heavy statements from countries and federations against him, FIFA is still claiming Infantino has support from the board members. An ouster before the March 2027 presidential election is definitely on the table, but it would need 43 member associations to trigger a no-confidence vote. Otherwise, that election is going to be the real battleground, with a handful of potential replacements ready to step up and shake things up. Keep your eyes peeled, because the future of FIFA leadership is far from settled.

This article was created with AI assistance and published under Seattle On Tap’s editorial standards. See our Editorial Policy.

Originally reported by Yahoo Sports.

About the author

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *