
Athens High School’s varsity football season was dead last week, fully canceled due to not enough players, but a wild turnaround on Monday, Aug. 17, means these kids are about to hit the gridiron after all. The school is planning a co-op with St. Philip High School, literally snatching a season from the jaws of cancellation. Can you believe the drama?
The Hail Mary That Saved the Season
Just last week, Athens had to pull the plug on its varsity season. Imagine that gut punch for the kids and the community, especially when preseason practice had just kicked off on Aug. 10. They just didn’t have the numbers to field a team, forcing them to list every single game as canceled, including their opener on Aug. 28 at Litchfield. Athens Athletic Director Kathy Parlin didn’t mince words about how terrible that felt, saying, “Makes you feel terrible when you can’t do something these kids want to do. We did not want to cancel the season.” Who would want to tell seniors their final year is just…gone?
Enter St. Philip Athletic Director Blake Shaw, who heard the news and immediately went to work. He knew they were past the normal deadline for co-ops, but he reached out to the MHSAA for an “emergency co-op situation.” And guess what? They said yes! The Athens High School Board of Education quickly approved the decision on Monday, putting this whole wild plan into motion. Talk about pulling off a miracle play when everyone thought the game was over!
From 10 Players to 16, and Ready to Roll
This co-op isn’t just a lifeline for Athens; it’s a huge boost for St. Philip too. They were only looking at a roster of 10 players for their preseason camp. Athens is expected to add six players to that total, bringing the combined squad to a respectable 16 players for the 8-player division. Shaw is hyped, exclaiming, “We’re ecstatic. We should have 16 now, which is good for 8-player football.” Getting those extra bodies means a proper rotation, less fatigue, and a much better chance to actually compete.
The MHSAA still needs to give its final blessing on Tuesday, Aug. 18, but Shaw is confident, saying, “The MHSAA still has to approve it, but the people I talked to said it should go through easy.” This means those kids who showed up for Athens, even with the low numbers, “will hopefully get an opportunity to play,” as Parlin put it. Especially those seniors, man, it’s all about them getting one last shot. St. Philip will be the host school, playing their original schedule, and they’re even hoping to play one of their home games on Athens’ field.
Now, with this unexpected turn, these combined squads are gearing up for their first game. They’re scheduled to hit the road and face Tekonsha on Aug. 28. What a rollercoaster, right? From canceled to co-op, these kids are about to prove that a season is never truly over until the final whistle blows.
This article was created with AI assistance and published under Seattle On Tap’s editorial standards. See our Editorial Policy.
Originally reported by Yahoo Sports.
Leave a Reply