
Pete Alonso’s apparent go-ahead home run was controversially ruled a foul ball Wednesday night in Baltimore, sparking outrage and a pointed call-out to Major League Baseball over its lack of modern technology. The Yankees eventually beat the Orioles 5-3, but the disputed call left a bitter taste and raised serious questions about the league’s readiness for 2026.
The Call That Rocked Baltimore
The drama unfolded in the seventh inning, with the score tied 3-3 and the bases empty. Alonso, who had already blasted his 29th homer of the season earlier in the game, stepped up to the plate with two outs. He absolutely ripped a first-pitch slider from Brent Headrick deep to left field. Everyone watching, including the Yankees’ broadcast, believed it was a fair ball, heading straight for a 4-3 Orioles lead. But the umpires on the field waved it foul, and after a crew chief review, the call stood. Wild. Alonso ended up striking out in that at-bat, which just adds insult to injury. The Yankees then put up two runs in the top of the eighth thanks to a George Lombard Jr. RBI single and a wild pitch from Yennier Cano, sealing their 5-3 win. Sure, it would have been a solo shot, and the O’s lost by two, so some say it wasn’t “game-changing.” But can you really say a 4-3 lead in the seventh wouldn’t change everything that followed? Come on.
Alonso Unleashes on MLB’s Tech Problem
You know Alonso thought it was fair. He basically said as much after the game. The slugger, who just signed a five-year deal with the Orioles this past winter after his whole career with the Mets, wasn’t just talking about that one play. He went in on MLB about their outdated review system. He threw down a challenge, pointing to football’s pylon cameras and saying, “Like, football, you have the pylon camera with the plane where it shoots right across the goal line. I think having a camera or laser shooting straight up, we have all the technology, analytics and funds. I don’t see why we can’t do it.” You gotta respect that directness! He’s right, too. We’re in 2026!
“Crazy That We Still Have This Issue”
Orioles starting pitcher Chris Bassitt, who battled through 5 ⅔ innings, echoed Alonso’s frustration. “Obviously I think it was fair, but yeah, after the call, it’s just crazy that we still have this issue,” Bassitt told reporters. He didn’t mince words, adding, “I think we might be the only major sport with an issue like this.” He basically called out the league for years of inaction, saying the technology is there to get these calls exactly right. It’s not about being mad at one specific call, he said, but the fact that MLB in 2026 still lacks the basic tech to definitively say “fair or foul.” That’s a huge problem. This isn’t just a tough loss for the Orioles; it’s a huge black eye for MLB. The league needs to get its act together and give these players the fair shot they deserve.
This article was created with AI assistance and published under Seattle On Tap’s editorial standards. See our Editorial Policy.
Originally reported by CBS Sports.
Leave a Reply