Seattle sports, on tap daily

Freddie Whittingham’s Michigan Move Explodes Into $1 Million Lawsuit and It’s Getting Worse

Ncaab on gradient background

Written by

in

Ncaab on gradient background
Ncaab on gradient background — Created by the Sports On Tap desk | Source : Sports On Tap (team logos property of their respective owners)

The University of Utah is absolutely taking former assistant coach Freddie Whittingham to court, alleging he breached his contract big time when he bolted for his brother Kyle Whittingham’s staff at Michigan earlier this year. This isn’t just a friendly goodbye, folks; the Utes are coming for more than $300,000 for breach of contract and at least $1 million in general and special damages in a separate fiduciary-duty claim, plus punitive damages on top of that. This lawsuit, filed August 3 in the 3rd District Court, means serious business.

The “Abandoned” Position and Broken Contract

Whittingham had been a fixture on Utah’s football staff since way back in 2012, with a contract that was supposed to run all the way through January 31, 2027. His annual base salary was a hefty $525,000. But the lawsuit claims Whittingham simply “abandoned” his position around January 1, right after Kyle Whittingham got hired as Michigan’s head coach. Talk about a quick exit! Utah alleges he didn’t even bother to get written permission before talking to Michigan, failed to provide written notice of his resignation, and definitely did not pay the liquidated damages his contract required. Plus, the Utes claim he wasn’t giving his full-time attention to his Utah coaching duties and, get this, was allegedly recruiting Utah players and recruits to Michigan while he was still under contract with them. You’ve got to be kidding me!

The January Exit That Blew Up

The timeline here is wild. According to the lawsuit, Utah associate athletic director Jeff Rudy reportedly told Whittingham on January 1 that, despite all the rumors, he was still a Utah employee. Later that very night, Rudy allegedly found Whittingham and his family clearing out his office. The very next day, January 2, Whittingham shows up with Kyle and other former Utah staff members at a Michigan basketball game, where Kyle actually introduced them as members of his new staff. No subtlety there, huh? Then, on January 3, a Michigan athletics employee even contacted Utah about transferring Whittingham’s phone line! Whittingham later told Rudy he expected Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel to contact Utah about a potential buyout. But here’s the kicker: his contract required him to pay liquidated damages equal to 75 percent of his annual salary for each full year remaining if he left without cause for another coaching job. Utah requested payment in January, but Whittingham disputed that he owed the damages. Unbelievable.

Recruiting On The Way Out?

The most intense allegation has to be that Utah claims Whittingham was actively recruiting Utah players to Michigan while still employed by the Utes. That’s a straight-up gut punch. The lawsuit points out that five Utah players who entered the transfer portal ultimately committed to Michigan. We are talking about tight end JJ Buchanan and edge rusher John Henry Daley, among others. If these allegations hold up, this whole situation is a massive breach of trust, not just a contract dispute. What a mess.

This article was created with AI assistance and published under Seattle On Tap’s editorial standards. See our Editorial Policy.

Originally reported by CBS Sports.

About the author

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *