Seattle sports, on tap daily

Klint Kubiak’s “Uneasiness” Strategy And Why Nobody In Vegas Is Ready For It

Ncaaf on gradient background

Written by

in

Ncaaf on gradient background
Ncaaf on gradient background — Created by the Sports On Tap desk | Source : Sports On Tap (team logos property of their respective owners)

Okay, so get this: The Raiders’ starting quarterback spot for Week 1? Still totally up in the air, man! Their first-year head coach, Klint Kubiak, just isn’t ready to name his guy, even after this week’s joint practice AND a preseason game against the Texans. We were all thinking Kirk Cousins had this gig locked down, right? I mean, Kubiak *literally* said it was “his to lose.” But nope, the silence from the organization is deafening. It’s August 21st, 2026, people, and we’re still guessing! This feels wild.

The Head Coach’s “Uneasy” Plan Is About To Blow Up

This isn’t just some rookie coach fumbling; Kubiak is doing this *on purpose*. He dropped his whole philosophy during his Friday press conference, and it’s a bombshell. Kubiak said, straight up, “I just don’t think it ever benefits a player to know that they have a spot secured. If there’s always a little bit of uneasiness about that, that benefits the whole team , the player and the team.” Seriously? “Uneasiness”? That’s his secret sauce? You gotta wonder if that kind of constant pressure is going to light a fire under guys or just make everyone totally stressed out and paranoid. It’s not just about Cousins or the rookie Fernando Mendoza; this is Kubiak setting a vibe for the entire squad. Will this psychological gamble pay off, or will it backfire spectacularly? The stakes are high for a first-year head coach trying to establish his culture.

Mendoza’s Flashes, Cousins’ Ghosting: What’s Really Going On?

So, while Kubiak is dropping these truth bombs, what’s actually happening on the field? Kirk Cousins, the presumed starter, didn’t even play on Thursday night! He went through the joint practice earlier in the week, sure, but then was a ghost for the game. Meanwhile, No. 1 overall pick Fernando Mendoza got to play the *entire* first half. And let’s be real, it was a total mixed bag. He went 8-of-15 for 86 yards, threw zero touchdowns, and, wait for it, tossed a pick-six! Ouch. Not exactly the stellar debut you’d hope for from your top pick. But here’s the twisted part: Kubiak, after watching the tape, said he was “pleased” with Mendoza. He even liked what the rookie did on third down. The team only converted 1-of-5 on third down in the first half, but Kubiak was quick to point out that two drops and one short throw on third-and-long weren’t on Mendoza, giving him props for “really good ball placement” on other plays. So, despite the stats, the coach sees something. Is this a genuine belief, or just more mind games to keep everyone “uneasy”?

Man, what happens next is absolutely huge for the Raiders. With Week 1 creeping closer, this QB battle is only going to get crazier. Will Kubiak seriously stick to his “uneasiness” philosophy right up until kick-off? Will Cousins’ veteran presence eventually just win out, or has Mendoza, despite the rookie bumps, shown enough to truly challenge for the starting role? Every single rep, every practice snap, and every preseason minute from here on out is gonna be under the microscope as they try to figure out who leads this team.

This article was created with AI assistance and published under Seattle On Tap’s editorial standards. See our Editorial Policy.

Originally reported by Pro Football Talk.

About the author

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *