
Mark Walter, the controlling owner of the Los Angeles Sparks, is in some serious hot water right now, and it’s not looking good. The feds are investigating him for fraud, we’re talking a massive $16 billion in private credit deals tied to his insurance companies. Yeah, you read that right: $16 BILLION. This isn’t just a slap on the wrist kind of deal, and it’s clear the dude is feeling the heat.
The Ownership Shake-Up is Already Here
Walter’s financial troubles aren’t just whispers; they’re already leading to massive changes in his other ventures. The Wall Street Journal dropped the news, and Walter has already sold off the Los Angeles Lakers to Bob Iger and Josh Kusher. Get this: he owned the Lakers for under a year! That’s not exactly a picture of stability, is it? And it doesn’t stop there. The Athletic also reported this week that he’s trying to offload his minority ownership share of Chelsea. It makes you wonder, with him dumping assets left and right, could the Sparks be next on the chopping block? So far, the word from Dan Woike Sports is that “The Los Angeles Sparks are not a part of any sale,” and there are no direct indications he’s shopping them around. But this is a rapidly developing story, and you can’t just assume it’s business as usual. With the WNBA blowing up in popularity and Walter under such intense financial pressure, you’ve gotta figure someone is going to come calling about the Sparks.
Six Straight Losing Seasons and It’s a Mess
If Walter *does* end up selling, it would definitely be messy, but honestly, it feels like the team desperately needs a change at the top anyway. The Sparks have just secured another brutal losing season, their *sixth in a row*. Seriously, six straight! On Thursday, they dropped their sixth straight game, and the Atlanta Dream absolutely stomped them, scoring a franchise-record 124 points in that rout at crypto.com Arena. They’re basically eliminated from the playoffs, making this the longest postseason drought in the franchise’s history. This team was built to win, and it just hasn’t happened. All these failures, all this losing, it’s finally forced LA to start cleaning house. They parted ways with general manager Reagan Pebley back in July and even traded superstar Kelsey Plum right before the deadline.
Farhan Zaidi, a special advisor to Walter, spoke to Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times, admitting what we all knew: they pushed a lot of chips in this year, and it totally blew up. Zaidi said, “Now we have to be open for anything. Everything has to be on the table for us. We have to take a long-term perspective rather than focusing on the rest of the season.” What does “open for anything” even mean when your owner is facing a federal fraud investigation? Adding to the chaos, head coach Lynne Roberts told John W. Davis that ownership has actually asked her to give bench players more minutes for the rest of the season. Sounds like a total rebuild is already underway.
The future of the LA Sparks is completely up in the air. This investigation into Mark Walter is massive, and it’s putting a huge cloud over everything. Fans are looking at a potential new ownership, a complete rebuild, and a ton of uncertainty. It’s going to be a long haul for Sparks Nation.
This article was created with AI assistance and published under Seattle On Tap’s editorial standards. See our Editorial Policy.
Originally reported by Swish Appeal.
Leave a Reply