Seattle sports, on tap daily

Roman Anthony Drops Truth Bombs on Mayer Trade and The Red Sox Are Climbing Anyway

Boston Red Sox logo on gradient background

Written by

in

Boston Red Sox logo on gradient background
Boston Red Sox logo on gradient background — Created by the Sports On Tap desk | Source : Sports On Tap (team logos property of their respective owners)

The Red Sox sending infielder Marcelo Mayer to the San Francisco Giants at the MLB deadline was a shocker for many, but Roman Anthony finally broke his silence on the move Tuesday. What he told reporters about his long-time roommate is just wild, especially after all those whispers about off-field drama.

Roommates, Rumors, and Reality Checks

Can you believe Anthony and Mayer were roommates since Anthony was 18 or 19 years old? That’s some serious history right there. Anthony told reporters he was “sad, obviously spoke to him, still speak to him quite a bit” after the trade went down. But get this, he also said he was “excited for him to kind of get a new opportunity, almost like a refresh” and even hopes to see him “come to Boston” to play against them. Talk about mixed emotions, right?

And let’s not forget, all these comments come after Red Sox chief baseball officer Craig Breslow had to shut down rumors about off-field issues between Anthony and Mayer. Breslow went on WEEI and called those rumors “nonsense.” He straight up said, “There are no issues with Marcelo and Roman off the field… There are no issues, there never were issues. Marcelo and Roman are great guys and very talented who were doing everything they can to get back on the field.” So, what’s the real story there? Anthony’s words certainly add another layer to that whole situation, painting a picture of a close bond that’s now broken up by a trade.

Broken Promises and Battle for October

Mayer was a huge deal, picked No. 4 overall in the 2021 MLB draft. Anthony came a year later in the second round. But Mayer’s been plagued by injuries, never really living up to that massive hype. He needed season-ending wrist surgery last year, and this season he’s been out since June 25 with a bone stress reaction in his left forearm. Ouch. You gotta feel for the kid.

Now he’s heading to a Giants team that’s largely just playing out the string, sitting a brutal 22 games under .500. Not exactly a fresh start for a winning culture, is it? Meanwhile, the Red Sox are actually doing something. They’ve clawed their way into the second American League wild-card spot! And they’re only two games behind the rival New York Yankees for the first wild-card spot. Wild, right? They’ve done all this without much help from Anthony, who’s been sidelined since May 4 with a tendon injury himself. But he’s on a rehab assignment, looking to get back for that stretch run. Imagine the drama if he comes back and helps push them into that top wild-card spot!

So, Mayer’s off to a struggling Giants team, trying to get healthy and find his footing. Anthony’s working his way back to a Red Sox squad that’s suddenly fighting for a postseason berth. This trade, even with all the personal feels, clearly marked a big pivot for both players and teams. Keep an eye on Anthony’s return: his bat could be exactly what Boston needs to close that gap with the Yankees and make a real run.

This article was created with AI assistance and published under Seattle On Tap’s editorial standards. See our Editorial Policy.

Originally reported by Bleacher Report.

About the author

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *