Seattle sports, on tap daily

The ‘Numbers Mover’ Truth That Blew Up Ilja Dragunov’s WWE Career

trophy logo on gradient background

Written by

in

trophy logo on gradient background
trophy logo on gradient background — Created by the Sports On Tap desk | Source : Sports On Tap (team logos property of their respective owners)

Ilja Dragunov is officially gone from WWE, after being absent from programming for four long months leading up to his departure. This isn’t just a quiet exit, though; the drama behind his contract status tells a wild story about how WWE views its own talent.

Ilja Dragunov’s Contract Drama Is Wild

Dude had a “very good” contract, according to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, but the two sides just couldn’t agree on a new deal. WWE actually pulled him from television way back in April because negotiations were so far apart. The real kicker? Meltzer reported the disconnect was about how big of a draw Dragunov actually was. WWE saw him as a good in-ring performer, sure, but apparently not a “numbers mover.” They felt he needed to be a “numbers mover” to justify the money he was asking for. Seriously? This is a guy who signed in 2019 and held the NXT United Kingdom Championship, the NXT Championship, and even the United States Championship one time each. He lost that US title to Carmelo Hayes in December, and then his TV time on SmackDown totally disappeared. After competing in the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal in April, he was just gone. PWInsider.com reported he intended to leave as his contract was expiring, and False Finish confirmed WWE wanted him to stay, but he made the choice to go. Since his contract just lapsed, there’s no pesky 90-day non-compete clause. That means he’s free to sign and work anywhere the moment his contract officially runs out. Could we see him at AEW All In in London on August 30, maybe as a fun surprise entrant in the Casino Gauntlet match? Man, that would be a fun one.

The John Cena Classic Has A Date, But What’s The Deal?

Switching gears, WWE reportedly has a date in mind for the John Cena Classic: Saturday, December 12. The location is still a mystery, though. John Cena himself spilled the beans on this whole concept at the Backlash premium live event back in May. He said it would be a tournament featuring Superstars from both the main roster and NXT. Here’s the kicker that threw everyone for a loop: a champion would be crowned based on a fan vote, not the actual match results. Fans were pretty confused by that, and WWE hasn’t followed up on Cena’s announcement at all since May. Sounds like they’re still trying to figure out the fine print. With December 12 being a Saturday, it looks like this “Classic” could be either a standalone premium live event or part of a Saturday Night’s Main Event. The whole idea is to elevate up-and-coming stars and help them connect with fans. That’s a positive for WWE, no doubt.

Lola Vice’s Main Roster Debut Is Cooking

And finally, the wheels are reportedly turning for Lola Vice’s main roster debut. TRNBCKL, via False Finish, says vignettes featuring Vice have already been filmed. You know what that means: get ready to see those bad boys air soon.

So, what’s next in the WWE universe? We’re waiting to see where Dragunov lands now that he’s a free agent, and the thought of him at Wembley is kinda wild. We’re also on standby for more details on the John Cena Classic, especially how that fan vote idea actually plays out. And for Lola Vice, it’s just a matter of time until those vignettes hit our screens. Get ready.

This article was created with AI assistance and published under Seattle On Tap’s editorial standards. See our Editorial Policy.

Originally reported by Bleacher Report.

About the author

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *